When you’re a beginner at the gym, your fellow gym-goers can fool you into thinking that if you’re not sweating it out, you’re not gymming. While many can start hyperventilating right on the first day, others remain confused for at least a week. We got in touch with Jinni Shaikh, ESN athlete, who gave us five basic exercises you can begin your gym journey with!
How to do these exercises?
1. Squats: Stand with hip distance apart. Extend your hands forward. Now, bend your knees and while going down, remember to keep your hips parallel to the floor. Maintain a straight back while coming up and going down.
2. Lunges: Stand straight with hip distance apart. You can hold weights while doing this exercise. If you do not have weights, you can opt for one litre water bottles to feel the burn. Take your right leg forward and bend your left leg as well. Do not keep your knees on the floor. Repeat the same with your left leg.
3. Bent over row: You will need weights for this exercise. Stand with feet apart. Next, extend your arms forward, bend from waist and look straight. Bend your arms like rowing a boat.
4. Overhead press: The standing position remains same as above. Except, in this exercise, back remains straight and arms go over the head.
5. Chest press: Lie down on the floor. Bend your knees and keep your feet apart. While holding weights, extend your arms up and bring them back down.